Friday, February 11, 2011

The element of surprise

In my efforts to recount the last year (and then some) I've decided to 're-post' our Sex Party. Now, now...get your mind out of the gutter. When Ron and I found out we were expecting, there was no doubt we were going to find out whether we were going to have a girl or a boy. That wasn't a surprise I wanted to keep until D-Day.

So we decided we would find out in a fun way, with family. We had a Sex Party. We had it at a crab shack. So yes, we gave our guests crabs at a sex party.

Here's the invitation...



We decided to have it at a crab shack for a couple of reasons. 1) We wanted it at a place where our whole family could take part.  With my sister's family in Virginia and Ron's sister's family in Maryland, we figured a crab shack in Maryland was the perfect venue, and 2) Who doesn't like digging into crabs for hours on end and savoring that delicious meaty sweetness?

So, how did we do it?  Just open an envelope in front of everyone?  Nah!  That's just boring...here's what we did.


When I scheduled my sonogram to find out the sex of the baby, I also invited everyone to the crab shack the weekend following the appointment.  The appointment was on Tuesday, the party was on Saturday...can you say ANXIETY???

Ron and I went to the appointment and brought a note card for the doctor to write the sex of the baby.  We asked her to seal it, and of course, not to tell us.

At that time I worked with a fabulous, talented baker, Eric.  I brought him the sealed envelope, gave it to him and said, "you're the only one who knows...besides the doctor..." He couldn't wait and opened it up, thankfully not in front of me, and had a smirk on his face for the rest of the week.

His job was to bake a cake that would let us know if it was a girl or a boy.  The inside of the cake would either be pink or blue.  The reason I choose him was because of his talent with fondant.  We brought him a picture of a baby toy, and he re-created it into a cake.  AMAZING.


So Saturday came...and it seemed like forever...it was...we had to drive 2 1/2 hours to Maryland...with this cake in the back of the car...don't you think I just wanted to tear into it to find out???  

I wanted to, I didn't ;-P.  Be proud.

To finish the story, see the video I posted here.  Needless to say, this was our element of surprise...how we found out that we would have a little Jacquelyn...not a little...yeah, I'm saving the boy's name just in case...


1 comment:

  1. Hi there, if there would be another sex party in your place please do let me know. I would love to join in too. :P

    ReplyDelete